Sunday, November 28, 2004

Tostada times two

Thanksgiving:
Nana, sayeth to us o'er the low din of scootching chairs to tables, "I am thankful for being here; and I'm thankful for oranges and aspirin, which represent the sun and the moon". I do not fib.
I spake to the table that grateful I am for all the people I know, for they are enrich-ed and worthy, peace-loving, attractive and self-aware. (I am thankful also for the earnestness that drapeth the new U2 album, though I exempt thanks for the choruses on tracks 2 and 6. This I did not say at the table, but I say it to you now.)
My cousin-in-law gave thanks to the philosopher's stone responsible for Splenda. We looked at pictures afterwards, and played picture bingo and drove home in the tortuga verde listening to Eminem's Mosh and other special items.

Zankou chicken. Friday. Upon facing my roasted chicken tarna thingy, nearly fell face first into it being overcome with exhaustion related to The Week.
Upon returning from el hospital on Saturday, entered house full of architecture students and my dad, who was deeply involved in a conversation about tequila and religion in the dim corner of the kitchen with a young man in a seersucker suit, all in celebration of Libby's 27th year. Slept upstairs in Libby's parents bedroom to avoid noise of revelry so I could wake up at 5:00 AM and drive to work without incident, but before I could tuck myself into bed, I fell off of it. Really fell off of it. It's probably two and a half feet off the slippery wooden floor. My iBook got bruised too. The sad thing was nobody heard me fall but me. I kind of lay there, in an awkward arrangement, before attempting to open computer to make sure it was alive.

I discovered today that my day really is better if I have coffee in the morning. I want to resist the idea of this. However, perhaps it is something to accept.
There was one patient who would swipe at me (unintentionally) until I leaned across her bed to give her a hug,and I was not to be let go of, and the hugs were of great intensity and at an awkward angle. She will only settle down if someone puts their chest to hers. And lo, then there was another patient who gave me the "L on the forehead" maneouvre. Then he addressed me as "Woman" (like, "Hey, woman, listen here...") and interrupted me in the middle of an admission with this announcement of my loserhood, then corrected me on the information I was giving to his new roomate about pulling the code cord.

Now I am full of tostadas eaten at Mexico City on Hillhurst. They give you two kinds of salsas there and the windows are large.

Goodnight. I imagine you all in bed with me. I mean this figuratively, as in, "I wish you could all feel cozy inside when it is cold and windy outside in LA and there are palm fronds lying like casualties on all the roads of the city".

I also learned that the word "cucuy" in Spanish (pronounced "koo-koo-ee") means bogeyman/person. I learned this from a former patient who came back for a visit today, because he kept pointing at another child and repeating "cucuy" (and laughing about it) because he dreamt about this patient as a scary cucuy.

To all my cucuys and dreamers I give thanks.



1 comment:

robyn said...

Yes, I slept in that bed too. It's very high up and the mirror on the wall at the end of the bed is part disconcerting and part, uh, hot, though not hot enough to warm the sheets if you're up there alone. I felt like a laundress called Grace, sleeping in the attic chill, fated to murder her master.