Monday, March 14, 2005

I made a list (revised)

I have been asked over whiskeys and at other junctures what my favorite recent movies are, etc. I am never able to deliver the goods. I ramble and get distracted and cannot make thorough recall.
Now I have made a list, inspired by a post on Majikthise, which prods us to list the best films so far of the Oughts, the '00s, because Lindsay was prodded to do so by some other blog.
Really these are not in any order per se. I picked 12 as tops.

1. Fellowship of the Ring, Return of the King , then Two Towers in that order and this counts as one (1) film indeed. I am referring to the Extended versions here of course.
2. Donnie Darko - definitely not the Director's Cut. Ouch. Please, no.Sucked.
3. Wonder Boys
4. Waking the Dead
5. Jesus' Son
6. Almost Famous
7. An Everlasting Piece
8. Sexy Beast
9. Master and Commander: Far Side of the World (creaking! biology! water!)
10. Bloody Sunday
11. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
12. Whale Rider


Special Mentions: Billy Elliot, Atanarjuat,Requiem for a Dream, Tape, Last Orders, The Believer, Dancer In The Dark, Spy Kids, About A Boy, Pieces of April, The Anniversary Party, Fahrenheit 9-11,13 Conversations About One Thing,A.I. (not including the last hour which belongs in a separate category - sorry Alex), In America, Before Sunset, Sky Captain and The, Hedwig and the Angry Inch,I Heart Huckabees, School of Rock, All the Real Girls, Punch Drunk Love, The Slaughter Rule, Rabbit Proof Fence, Laurel Canyon,Adaptation,Liam, the Good Girl, Moonlight Mile, and Barbarian Invasions.

Extra Special Mention, Existentially Questionable Filmmaking Award: Reign of Fire.

Bill Murray's Polonius was good.

6 comments:

Editorial said...

I am going to the video store to rent the stuff I haven't seen.

I love lists.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to brave the extended versions of LoTR. Sometime ago I was invited to a day long screening of all three extended films, but I had too much work to do.

robyn said...

dear doretta,

someday when we're all old and creaky, sarah and i will tie you to a chair and make you watch all three.

don't worry, sarah will make sure you stay hydrated and i'll hold a phone up to your head and let you make 5-minute calls to the outside world every three hours.

love,

robyn

alex or eric said...

Uh hmmm...I think further revision is needed. Where the hell is Femme Fatale?

SHL said...

Didnt see it, mon frere. Where's your list, fois gras boy?
And yes, I can have an IV set up with some Lactated Ringers infusing at 100 cc/hr for you Doretta. I know how you feel about needles but we'll make it through together. It's great for hangovers too, or so I hear. Replaces all your electrolytes rapidly.
We would let you pee, right Robyn? I think Jeremy should also be present. But forcing them is bad.

JEB said...

Are you saying I should be present when Doretta's peeing? That's twisted.

And hey, I've seen all three! I somewhat liked that second one, and the third one (all 4 hours) was actually pleasantly enjoyable.

But the fact that you need to Clockwork Orange people to chairs to make them watch these movies should trigger something...

And I'm with the John Stamos wannabe above. What about "Rollerball"?

jlew said...

Jeremy, is your comment just a veiled attempt to make an allusion to John Stamos' new ABC series "Jake in Progress"? Because, if it is, touche.