Sunday, December 18, 2005

Written on a Post-it, signifying nothing

Year's List of Good and Great:

Rory O'Shea Was Here - finding my tattered old fleece in the closet - Thai omelette with scallions and Eric Lane - A History of Violence - the dreams I started remembering again after not remembering any for a year when I sleep in on days off - Jon Krakauer's Into the Wild - The 40-Year-Old Virgin - shrimp boil on restaurant porch in New Iberia, LA - the narcissus and paperwhites I bought at Target that grow right now, mitotically as I type - Batman Begins - learning how to calculate catecholamine and opiate intravenous drips - Walk the Line - hiking in Runyon Canyon and Griffith Park when it's fall and the light gets golden - Millions - wet burritos - discovery of great bras after many years of searching - U2 and dinner in April with Bonnie and Karen - Mysterious Skin - pulling up shrimp traps with Da off West Vancouver in November - Sinead O'Connor's reggae album - Junebug - kale with andouille in my kitchen - Ryan Adams x 2 - breakfast with Mom when it's grey outside - Breakfast on Pluto - Trader Joe's Hot and Sour Soup in glass jar - Everything is Illuminated - hearing a legally blind 70-year-old tell me how she helped steal a public bus to evacute her neighborhood in the Lower Ninth Ward - Brokeback Mountain - Sufjan Stevens' Illinois - Google maps - My Summer of Love - Russell Stover's sugar-free chocolate-covered toffee - The Constant Gardener - watching cooking shows ad nauseam with my sister - Grizzly Man - marcona almonds with rosemary and sea salt from Trader Joe's - Antony and the Johnsons I'm A Bird Now - retractable Sharpie markers - the Weatherman - the treadmill at steep incline for 20 minutes - No Direction Home - first time being a camp nurse - Thumbsucker - a striped scarf when the time is right - Beck's Que Onda Guero and Go It Alone - King Kong - the quad press at 130 lbs - exiting the Arclight, returning in the dark to your car parked on the roof, it's foggy and cold and to the north are at least 12 beams of light from Hollywood Blvd. roving back and forth across the fog - Cat Power and Handsome Boy Modeling School, I've Been Thinking - the Marcel Dzama drawings on the wall at 826LA and the sad ghost Dzama salt and pepper shakers I got at home - The Squid and the Whale - my Christmas tree and its ornaments - Smog, A River Ain't Too Much to Love - Halloween despite having to work the next day - Gustavo Santaolalla who did the music for North Country and Brokeback Mountain and the Motorcycle Diaries - walking to work when it's cold - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: Lyre of Orpheus and Abbatoir Blues - camping with cousins and their cousins in Santa Barbara - Spoon, Gimme Fiction - Libby's Sense of Style - dinner club sundays - X & Y - Ron being pouty, Harry sitting out the dance, in Goblet of Fire - my neighborsm who carve pumpkins and have dinner with me, just whenever - my Nana, independent film lover, aged 90 - BJ Schwartz and Eric Lane when they are stand-upping it during Trivial Pursuit - the patient in the PICU who has been there for a year, making witches brew with dry ice on Halloween and having frozen grapes and pasta for the nurses and doctors to feel with their eyes closed - my sweet family in general, my sweet friends in general.


Bad and Awful:

Beta blockers - Elizabethtown - my car being dirty most of the time - hypertension - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Southern storms- Lord of War - empty half-a-bed-syndrome - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - writing personal statements for graduate school applications - skin hunger - wearing gowns at work when your patient is in isolation for infectious disease or immunosuppresive protocol and you take the gown off (there is much static) on your way out of the room and are given really bad shocks by cribs, door handles, water from the faucet and you can see the electric arc - missing family but not being able to tolerate The Vancouver Grey efficiently, therefore leaving one unable to find a compromise between Here and There - the part at the end of Crash where Ludicris chuckles to himself after letting free the Asian slaves and it starts to snow; oh, what a world indeed -the morgue sign-in book - myocardial infarctions - My Humps.

1 comment:

alex or eric said...

Ruen Pair is/was excellente! Here's to more adventures in '06! So happy to have made the list (x2!). My appetite for attention now fed, Eric

P.S. My Humps = Most Awful

P.P.S. I found a new food place; it is both cheap and excellent. I will introduce you to said establishment next week. We will bring our own beer and for 10 dollars each, dine like Mexican royalty!

P.P.P.S. Bob Dylan has more to tell us in '06!