Friday, January 06, 2006

A horse. Working like a.

I am in the middle of my first night shift right now. I have two sleeping children in the rooms to my right. Since before Christmas, I've been working a foolish schedule. I made it myself and have only me to blame. I worked 5 12-hrs straight through over Christmas, had one day off, had two on, two off, then three on. Then this morning I slept in until noon. I got a phone call in the middle of omelette-making asking if I could come in for a night shift as they were short. I said yes and promptly swallowed a benadryl and climbed back into bed. O whoa is me, sitting at the tail end of the unit. It's dark and kinda lonely.
How was your new year's? Mildly disappointing but expectedly so? I went to my cousins' house. Everyone but me was on pills. I got lots of massages but early in the night realized I would have to abandon my plan to make out with somebody on such day.

I made something out of artichokes last night. My salmon on Monday was white.
I watched Labyrinth and also Jiminy Glick in La La Wood.

Dance magic dance.
Slap that baby, make it pee!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

=)i'm listening to Illinois, Sufjan Stevens. actually, have been listening to it on repeat for the last 1/2 hour as I procrastinate from prepping my first history class which I teach in fewer than 36 hours.
but read your blog previous to this one, saw the sufjan stevens note, and had to write (after smiling first!)
read the comments on robyn's latest blog to find out how I found your blog...but t'is for that reason I write...wanted to say thanks for the link =)

my new years involved pills... but my make-out energy stays with dancing these days...which is probably safer emotionally in the midst of a breakup from someone I loved very much.

happy new years. amy

ps:when I remember I'll have to send you a great song my nursing student friend wrote for one of her classes about keegal(sp?!) exercises: The Day I was finally dry (to the tune of American Pie)

robyn said...

On white salmon: according to family friend who works high up in gold seal, albacore, which tastes like cardboard is more popular in the united states than other kinds of tuna, cause the flesh, it be whiter.

Racist against fishes!

Anonymous said...

It's probably apocryphal (five tries to type that word; I need coffee), but it's a story worth repeating:

One year a couple of entrepreneurs bought up all the white-fleshed salmon; they were cheap because they were regarded almost as trash fish: impossible to sell.

Everyone laughed.

They canned the fish.

Everyone laughed.

They labeled the cans as "White Salmon."

Everyone laughed. Until they read the rest of the label. It was prominently flagged, "GUARANTEED NOT TO TURN PINK IN THE CAN."

The story ends sadly with the descent of the Food and Drug Administration and the Federal Trade Commission upon Our Heroes ...

... and as I said, it's probably apocrype, apocrine, aptochri ... not true.

Off to get some coffee...

The Ghost of Joe Liebling's Dog