Friday, November 19, 2004

It is a gift...


It is a gift...
Originally uploaded by Sarah Lebo.
This was a poster I saw in a pharmacy near Queen's University in Belfast on one of my many fruitless, aimless, time-killing walks there.
Who was the advertising genius....who was the trailblazer responsible for storyboarding this campaign? I want to give him/her an award for Outstandingly Awkward PSA of the Year, Northern Ireland 2004.
See, this ad is not something people there would think was funny. We do. But they dont.
I mean, there was a radio ad I heard in the Republic in 2001 while I was in Galway, an ad for nappies/diapers: "The only nappy for pee and soft poo". A national media that abides by an unwritten law o earnestness.

Today I became very bummed while at work in the lunch room. This clique of older nurses was talking about molcahetes and tamales and it wasnt that I felt left out because my mom cannot make posole from scratch....it's just, I don't know, my mortal coil began to shudder - a little bit.
It's not that this group ignores me completely - no, see, they use me for reference, like a thesaurus. And then they just talk over me. It's fascinating, truly. Generally I can ignore it.

Sigh.
"It's not the band I hate - it's the fans."

1 comment:

Editorial said...

If I worked with you, I'd be trying to win you over every day of the week with witty comments and compliments on your hair.