Monday, January 30, 2006

A verbis a verbera/acta non verba


Achill Island
Originally uploaded by Sarah Lebo.
My living room is really quite a blackhole: cluttered with half-opened art supplies, empty glasses lined with dried red wine and root beer, books in stacks, a dead christmas tree, a trying-to-grow pot of paperwhites and me. My taxes have been e-filed. My grad school applications have been sent. I am wearing the new fleece. I worked three days and then a night shift. I saw Casanova and had tom yung koong. I ate a macrobiotic dinner last night with Karen Ma. I wash dishes and have baths. I am more than midway through book two of the Patrick O'Brien books. I realize every day that I have some very high quality friends and other very good half-friends, meaning they are anywhere from one quarter- to one half-good at actually being my friend. This quality issue has nothing to do with frequency of contact but rather other factors. There are those and then there are people we might not talk to in ten years (Karen Ma) and then when we see them we are home again, easy peasy. I worry every day that my very good friends are floating away from me on the tide of our own mutual negligence when it comes to keeping tabs. I bought all these art supplies in an attempt to pull them back against that tide by sending them little thank you notes expressing how much I value them. When I have tried to sit and make something, I accomplish little.
This weekend someone asked me what my bedroom looked like and I said it's my bed and nothing else, and this is true (Eric said this was very Leonard Cohen-y). Some of you may have known me for my previous rooms and my tendency to actually adorn them with remnants and signifiers of my life, and I liked that. I can still do that but it seems that now I am grown, whatever that means. Now I am without the frequent lightning strike of inspiration and
I wonder how much of this is the fault of my work or other things. For example, the other day I spent two hours online researching the approximate cost of a windbeaten cottage on the northwest coast of Ireland where I might one day retreat during winters (for the storms) to write. And yet I could have spent those two hours writing right here, right now and then I wouldnt think so little of myself. Problem solved! Actions not words.

Oh but you say, come now, you sound perfectly depressed, nurse!

I don't really think I am. I think I am tired and that I need to work more diligently at my calligraphy (I bought a kit with the other stuff at the art store) and try to keep my house uncluttered so I can find an available work space when I feel a lightning strike coming on.

That, and more wine, less talk.

7 comments:

jlew said...

Today I am home in my pajamas when I should be at work. I feel Tired, Bone-Tired, but content with myself. Later, I will walk up the street to run an errand. I am keeping promises to myself. I'm glad a have good friends. And I am aware of it too when I have my thoughts of running away.

SHL said...

isn't it an interesting combo. I wonder if this is like, Mersault or like, something you know, ex-is-tenz-al. It's not ennui, because it's more positive. but keeping promises to self is important. I dont know why I am so bad at it.

robyn said...

I make the promises smaller and smaller. That is how I am acheiving some limited success this fortnight. I have to realise that what I am actually telling myself is that good enough is not good enough when in fact it really is good enough and beyond good enough is great.

SHL said...

I just finished four little promises: cleaned dishes before going to bed. Check.
Wrote my own reference letter for someone to send in for grad apps (at their request). Check.
Sent CV to second letter writer. Check.
made copy of my schedule so I don't wake up to phone calls at 7:20 AM where people on the other end say "Sarah, you're on the schedule for today. Are you on your way"?
Check.

Going to work when you're supposed to.
Priceless.

Anonymous said...

It's your mom's friend Cydny who is avoiding her writing by reading your writing and wondering where you're going to grad school.

SHL said...

I'll tell you about it over dinner. Yes. Details to follow.

Anonymous said...

Hey Cydny--- hello over there. Get back to work !
M