Thursday, January 13, 2005

My brain broke up with me.

Tomorrow? I write the GRE.
See, on Wednesday the math was enjoyable and I was able to really focus. But yesterday, while practicing on the computer,
my brain said: Enough, this isn't working for me, I need some space. And thereafter, my mortal coil walked out of the house and left me there, a shell of a person, staring at a PC (which in itself can raise my blood pressure: see Job's new genius) and doing all the problems in the most difficult manner possible. Today I will buy earplugs and drink decaf. Someone told me they saw my brain having souvlaki at Burger Continental with a CalTech grad student in khaki shorts and Tevas, and I think to myself, Jealousy has got to be one of the major flaws in human design.
Then I just gave up for the evening and watched Sexy Beast with Libby and then the Secret Lives of Dentist by myself. Campbell Scott looks a tad like H-to-the-itler with that moustache. I've seen Sexy Beast before, me gusta mucho, but the movie made me think back to last spring when I was in the land of overbaked, plump English people on holiday in Spain with no taste in food or music or beach clothing, and it made me shake my head at the world. Dentists, also, I liked it a lot, especially the bits with Denis Leary, and it made me teary but that's no surprise as the other day as I discovered 50 First Dates did the same.
I can no longer be trusted with simple things.
And I don't know if you watch Lost, but last night the theory I expounded during the very first episode was confirmed: two of the very worst actors and the most useless characters (Shannon and Boone) have had sex with each other in the past. They are stepbrother and sister you see, the token rich white kids, champions of flawless skin and piercing blue eyes.

2 comments:

SHL said...

My metaphor was that my brain left me as a lover would and was off meeting someone new. I suppose it was weak.
Words I learned today: saturnine, jejune, revitiate.
There are so many words I know that I still get wrong on the analogies.
O plbbbt.

alex or eric said...

Alex uses jejune well. I use no big words.
Except for circumscribe, which still sends me to the floor laughing
much as it did when I was a wee lad of 12.
Best of luck on the GRE. I took it last year. It's hella long.
Ipods are getting smaller. I can't wait 'til I have a toothpick that plays MP3's.
My molars would be ecstatic.
Hella unemployed, Eric